When you sign up for Keylime Toolbox, a set up wizard walks you through data set up. Those steps are also described below.
Set Up Overview
Initial set up connects Keylime Toolbox to Google Search Console (formerly Webmaster Tools) and Google Analytics so Keylime Toolbox can begin importing and processing data:
- Add your site to Google Search Console (if it isn’t added already) and add the Keylime Toolbox API as a user. Add all major subfolders and subdomains to Google Search Console.
- Add the Keylime Toolbox API as a user to your site’s Google Analytics profile and provide the site property and view IDs to Keylime Toolbox as part of the setup wizard (if the site uses GA).
You’ll receive an email right away with your account login details and will receive another email once Keylime Toolbox has processed your site’s data and your account is ready to access (generally 24-48 hours after setup).
Step 1: Google Search Console Integration
Keylime Toolbox gathers queries and related SEO data from Google’s API. To surface the most query data possible, Keylime Toolbox processes not only top-level domain data, but also data for all levels of subfolders and then aggregates and deduplicates the data for the most complete view possible.
The bad news: it’s a little tedious to add all the subfolders.
The great news: once you’ve done that, Keylime Toolbox can surface substantially more query data (typically significantly more than is available in analytics).
You can always start with just your root domain and see how much “not provided” query data Keylime Toolbox is able to recover, and then add subfolders later.
- Gather a list of all subfolders (and sub-subfolders…) on your domains and subdomains. Examples of subfolders include:
- www.example.com/folder2/If parts of your site are secure and other parts are not secure, make sure that you’ve added both the http and https versions of the site. If your site includes subdomains, make sure those are added as well (and any subfolders of those subdomains).
- Log into Google Search Console with an account that has ownership access to your domain/subdomains. Select ‘Add or remove users’ from the ‘Manage site’ menu located to the right of each domain and subdomain.
Click ‘Add a New User’ in the upper left corner and add email@example.com with either restricted or full permission.
- Add the subfolders you gathered in step 1 as sites in Google Search Console. (Google autoverifies the subfolders when you add them from an ownership account.)
Google keeps 90 days of data stored for all domains so Keylime Toolbox can begin providing analytics for the domain as soon as we have access. However, Google only begins storing data for subfolders when they are added, so data collection and storage in Keylime Toolbox begins on the date the subfolders are added. You’ll begin to see comprehensive query data from the aggregation of this subfolder data about a week after the subfolders are added.
Step 2: Google Analytics Integration
If your site doesn’t use Google Analytics, Keylime Toolbox still provides all data analysis based on Google Search Console data. Keylime Toolbox will soon support additional web analytics programs, and we’ll keep you posted as we have more details.
If your site does use Google Analytics, add the Keylime Toolbox API user accounts to the site’s profile. Add these two user accounts:
The data setup wizard asks for the GA property and view IDs for the site so Keylime Toolbox can pull the right data.
That’s it! Keylime Toolbox can now begin importing data and providing you with SEO insights!
Once you’ve connected your site (and subfolders) in Google Search Console and Google Analytics, Keylime Toolbox will configure your account and send you an email with log in details once the data is processed, generally within 24-48 hours.
That email will include details on how to set up query segments (including branded vs. unbranded queries and specific topics) and will walk you through key report insights. That’s it! You can start taking advantage of all that Keylime Toolbox has to offer, including better understanding your audiences and their needs, critical details about traffic and ranking changes, and data for forecasting SEO impact.
If you have any questions during the set up process or while using Keylime Toolbox, email us anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org.